Sunday, October 23, 2016

Vienna

Sorry to leave Prague behind but on to our final stop, Vienna. I liked it much more than I expected to. Contrasting Vienna to its neighbors, Prague and Budapest, you can see how it benefited from being free of Soviet occupation and how the others suffered. Vienna is perfectly modern and First World. It also feels rich in comparison to the others. The other cities have catching up to do - and they are working at it!

St. Stephen's cathedral, which dominates the square in the city center:


Vienna is another city on the beautiful Danube, though it isn't right on the Danube and they built a canal to connect to it. It's still lovely:


Scene of Vienna:


The legendary Hotel Sacher:


And Sacher's great gift to the world:


There is a great coffee culture throughout these cities, and many variations on tortes and cakes. 

The Schonbrunn Palace, a mini Versailles. That was my first reaction when I saw it, and it turns out it was modeled on Versailles. 



And the famous Lipinzzaner horses in their palatial stables:



No comments:

Post a Comment